[Public-List] Continued Fitment questions on Boom Vang choice

Gordon Laco via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Thu Nov 3 12:56:39 PDT 2016

Actually I always build a 'fuse' into the vang so that it'll break before
the boom or gooseneck does.  In our case this is in the form of a lighter D
shackle.  I realize this could be dangerous if the vang is being used as a
preventer... So we don't do that in heavy air.  Rather we rely on careful
steering to prevent accidental jibes.  And the fuse has never broken,
although when I was a boy I was aboard a boat which broke it's boom in heavy
weather.  The break happened at the vang's boom bale and I never forgot the
violence of the event, both when it happened, and during the aftermath.  It
happened at night while broad reaching in quite heavy air in a large boat.
I'll never be certain but we think we put the boom into the water while
sailing hard at high speed.  Quite dramatic.

Gord #426 Surprise

On 2016-11-03, 3:42 PM, "Don Campbell via Public-List"