[Public-List] Boom Vang

Jonathan Bresler via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Fri Nov 4 05:49:02 PDT 2016

Years ago when AYC ran Wednesday Night Races in "Alberg Weather" stresses
on the boom bang were considerably higher due to the higher wind speeds.
One evening while running downwind, with the spinnaker loading up and
easing due to the conditions, I was working the vang.  Full effort
operation in those conditions.  Well, pulled the dang thing out of the
boom.  During the following week, the skipper reattached the vang, using a
stainless steel bail secured by a bolt through the boom.

Hasn't been a problem since.

Would recommend replacing the stock attachment of the vang to the boom.

Jonathan

On Thursday, November 3, 2016, Rod Symmes via Public-List <

> I  agree and I think about the four 1/4" bolts through the base and the
> rivets are screws attaching the vang to the boom and I think you can guess
> which I will put my money on letting go first.
>

> Cheers,  Rod

Jonathan M Bresler
S/V Constance Alberg 30 #262
Annapolis/Eastport MD