[Public-List] Southbound ICW trip over

Kurt R via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Mon Nov 7 14:52:41 PST 2016

Came in Friday making as high as 8.3mph SOG (motor, tide, and tailwind) for
the last few miles of bringing #429, nee "Sundance", to her new home in
Georgetown, SC, from Fleets Bay, VA.
Total trip distance according to GPS was 496 miles, tho it was a bit more
than that as GPS was not always on the first few days. Underway 10 days and
3.5 hours port-to-port.
Due to Dismal still being closed, came via Chesapeake canal/Coinjock route,
with the exception of one offshore leg between Morehead and Masonboro
Inlet, NC.
Went "astump" briefly in VA while circling for a draw bridge, and also
found bottom for 10 minutes or so in the notorious Shallotte Inlet of NC.
Had fuel issues the first 5 days which came to a conclusion when I
jury-rigged a jerry can in the cockpit and gravity fed the engine from that
instead. This allowed for much better and higher-speed running engine
(first 5 days speed average was 3.3 kts @1700rpm max). I think the inboard
tank must never have been cleaned since 1970, as I never was able to fit in
more than 4.5 gals fuel. Jerry can rig allowed me to up revs to 2200 and
speed to 5 or 5.5mph, still low but considerably better.
Documentation shows the prop as being 13.68" diam with an 11" pitch, and I
think that is wrong, and the reason for the slow speeds. Under sail I was
able to do better than engine speeds even in light air. Didn't get much of
that, but thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it. She sails every bit as
nimbly and able as my Ariel.
Let the projects begin...
Kurt