[Public-List] Mast Step Analysis for After Thanksgiving Meal

Jason S via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Wed Nov 23 07:03:05 PST 2016

I would absolutely agree with Mike but even with mast moved forward on the
step as far as possible it is not even close to being centered on the
orginal support beam, at least not on my liner boat.
I will also add that I believe the orginal  pad molded int the deck is not
sufficient enough to spread load out over the beam. It is just a smidgen
over 5" wide. That alot of force to concentrate on such a small area,
especially when core below it fails.
I am in the process of building a new much wider molded step the will help
spread load out. I got the idea from Jean-du-Sud when I was aboard her last
year.

On Nov 23, 2016 9:52 AM, "Mike Lehman via Public-List" <

Skeep

As a general setup, make sure the base of the mast is as far forward on the
step as possible, to put the mast over the beam as much as possible.
Otherwise you can end up with too much weight on the deck behind the mast
and cause a depression in the deck. When setting up the standing rigging,
the first step is to make sure the head of the mast is directly over the top
of the mast (achieved by using the main halyard as a plumb bob). Tension the
upper shrouds with equal tension all the way around to about 600 pounds.
Then tension the forward lowers until there is an inch or two pre-bend in
the mast at the spreaders (that helps to reduce weather helm). Finally
tighten the aft lowers to just enough to take the slack out of them. Go
sailing, check the rig under load and tweek the tensions as needed.