[Public-List] Electric Auxiliary

Andrew Johns via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Fri Oct 14 04:38:50 PDT 2016

I seriously looked into the kit provided by this outfit.

http://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/electric-sailboat-kits-and-accessories-inboard-motor-ev.html

While the electric aspect is very enticing... no loud diesel, no fuel or
oil.

Unfortunately i found it would not work for how we use our boat.

The storage capacity required for a 5 knot cruise for 3+ hours is
unmanageable with traditional batteries (lithium may be an option).

The other major drawback was that most systems will eventually overheat and
have very limited range at full power settings. I have had several
occasions ( particularly one three years ago) where I required full engine
output for extended periods. A situation where a diesel would happly run
almost indefinitely provided it had enough fuel.

For me it was best to stay with the diesel. ( or if cost was no object go
with a hybrid system)

http://www.hybrid-marine.co.uk/5.html

For an application where you required 60min of slow maneuvering in and out
of a marina it would be Ideal.

Good Luck,

On Sun, Oct 9, 2016 at 8:09 PM, Jonathan Bresler via Public-List <