[Public-List] Leaks/Tracks/rivets/et. al.

Bill McCoy via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Sep 6 02:00:38 PDT 2016

Fellow Albergers,

I've read with great interest as much as possible on this subject via assorted threads dating back to 2000.  What got my attention on this was our recent Hermine who tested hull #614 this past weekend.  I had planned this encounter as soon as I was apprised she was coming our way, Hermine that is.  She provided just the product I needed, persistent rain on the deck for 12 to 20 hours.

During my routine refitment, I had replaced a thru hull in the stern for the Stbd drains and two sea cocks as well.  No problems.  However my greater concern was if my re-bedding a suspect stanchion on the Port side might have been the fix for a persistent leak into the cabinetry.  And, I had my eye also on a forward Port leak entering near the forward chainplates (which by the way were taped over because I am having mine remanufactured).  I had figured some water would enter but nonetheless was leary that it soaked the cushion on that side in the v-berth as well.  Hmpf.  What else other than the chainplate opening could have precipitated leaking into the area...the cap rail, the forward bow pulpit base plates?

So, the analysis the morning after revealed 2/3 cup of water (in plastic container) had leaked from amidships with the only clue of passage being droplets of water still hanging from several of the genoa track screws in that area! And since these droplets were isolated to just that 1 or 2 foot area near the ice box/port salon cabinet area, methinks the cap rail is fine but the genoa track bedding is not fine.

Questions abound:

1.  Is my cautious eye on the genoa track going down a common problem road or unrealistic if it "looks" ok (not loose but screws not wrapped in adhesive)?

2.  Would I be over-doing this if I were to remove the cap rail from Port forward to amidships in order to re-bed cap rail and then re-put genoa track?

3.  Am I remiss in my thinking that caulking with sealant between cap rail and hull/liner joint is asking for water and rot underneath the rail sooner or later?

I revel in the possibilities of answers to this age old problem of mine, I mean "ours," of course.

If you are thirsty for photos, see my journey at http://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com where I provide you more visual fascination. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Skeep