[Public-List] Leaks, etc.,...

Bill McCoy via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Wed Sep 14 04:38:35 PDT 2016

Responding to Michael and a for general information, I proceded in this fashion for the track re-put, information with photographs can be seen at my handy Alberg blog:  baggywrinkles.blogspot.com

I like pictures because despite education's best efforts, many words do not help me "see" the process.  So a blend of the two educational methods suits me best.  Hope this helps you too.  I am a novice at best in my skills too, so I put forth no hint of bumptiousness in my blog or in my method to address this problem:

Word of
caution to the adventurous, this activity is probably best done with 2
people because of the order required to reinstall the genoa track, which itself, is not curved as it appears, but a straight piece of sturdy metal.  Thus, the order of precedence for reinstallation
 of parts and items for me was in this sequence to:

[ Prep surfaces to receive silicone to remove debris, dust, corrosion of metal, left florets of original sealant in place ]

1) apply sealant on hull-deck surface
for closure under cap rail,

[cap rail for me was lifted from a connecting point aft and secured fore of the genoa track position with its own bolts--this made application of sealant underneath fore area a bit tricky/difficult due to being single handed while the remaining hull/deck joint was very accessible and I finished by adding sealant in the puzzle connection point aft where cap rail joined the remaining length of cap rail on deck]

2) re-put cap rail using downward pressure to insure
spread of sealant,

3) apply sealant underneath genoa
 track before installing 1st anchor bolt pin in foremost position, then
using that first pin as anchor with assistance from someone to hold that
 point with hands then,

4) slowly & carefully force genoa
 track toward hull and downward while sequentially inserting bolt pins one by one, making
every effort to clear top of cap rail (so as to avoid spread of sealant
all over top of cap rail) until last bolts are put,

5) carefully address
 errant failed bolt entries due to missed angle of insertion using persuasive hammer
to reseat them to factory positions.

6) resist overachievement, drink something cold and let nature and sealant lie for 24 hours before revisiting site with a pal and tighten each bolt to a consistent torque

[torque:  I tried to sustain about 15-20lbs of torque, not much, just enough where my pal could just hold on; I think overtightening is as common a problem as a finger tight bolt ]

7) clean up and trim with knife/blade excess sealant oozed from pressure of application.

Comments:
In retrospect, I was pretty satisfied with the removal and reinstallation of the track and became familiar with the vagaries of my Alberg's original construction.  Where there were finger-tight bolts, I blamed on time and distance not any previous ownership as this I can never verify and it would do me no good if I could.  It is curious that the starboard rail does not seem to leak at all but I will investigate it cautiously when under a port reach where it may contact the water.

Skeep