[Public-List] Chainplates sealing--and what about increased support under the deck?

Hernán Scarnichia via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Sun Apr 2 19:35:16 PDT 2017

Randy,
I reinforced the knees by rebuilding the fore lowers out of G10 and
reinforcing the rest with backing plates. Also increased the size of
chainplates and bolts. Some pictures here
https://goo.gl/photos/w63gRH4Zf2wk2FCy8
This was on #414 a liner boat.
If you want more details just ask.
Hernan

On Apr 2, 2017 17:10, "Randy Katz via Public-List" <

Greetings, All,

I also use the Boat Life Caulk, but I'm not at all crazy about the way it
discolors. I routinely dig it out from around the chain plates at deck
level and replace it with new each summer. (An easy job) I really don't
want any leaking around those things.

I pulled out the port side chain plates for a look. This was a bit of a
pain, but not terribly difficult. No sign of any cracks or corrosion of any
kind. Whew. I also have to drill out one bolt hole to...is it 5/16" size
for the bolt size next bigger than 1/4"? The PO did this for most of them
already. Will check stbd side plates next.

I'm wondering if any of you have taken steps to reinforce or strengthen the
knees under the deck through which the chain plates are bolted. The
original knees are pretty small, and they have to support huge stresses,
mainly in the very windy circumstances when a failure could be a disaster.
I understand some people have sanded around them and added epoxy/glass mat
support. Some have installed longer knees with longer chain plates (also
epoxied). Any one have photos?

Many Thanks,

Randy Katz
Simple Gifts #249