[Public-List] cracked mast step

via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Apr 4 06:54:06 PDT 2017

Hello my friends at the Alberg 30 Assoc.,

I took Stargazer's winter cover off today, and while most was in order,
there was one very alarming discovery; the aluminum mast step casting had
cracked over the winter.

There is one crack that goes directly across the fitting, just in front of
the raised area that goes up into the heel of the mast, and another that
goes from the port aft bolt slot to the outboard edge of the fitting.  Both
cracks are full thickness.

I would like to think I would have noticed these cracks last fall, as
quickly as I noticed them today, so I think they occurred over the winter.
That's strange, since I unstepped the mast for the winter, so there was no force
 on the fitting at all. The 'Bright Side' is that it happened now, and not
while  Stargazer was sailing.

Stargazer, #255,  1967, is of the old non-hull liner, vertical toe  rail,
hull and deck configuration. The fitting is 50 years old. It should never
have been made of cast aluminum in the first place. It's amazing it lasted
this  long.

Has this happened to anyone else's Alberg 30, and if so, how have they
replaced the fitting?

When we bought Stargazer back in 1997, the mast step was fastened in the
middle of it's adjustment; the fitting bolts were basically in the middle of
their slots. I wanted to see if the bolts were free, in case I wanted to
adjust  the mast step position. The bolts were frozen then, and as Stargazer
balanced  nicely I never had to pursue it. I am sure the bolts have not
gotten any free-er  since. Are there any tricks you guys have come up with over
the years to free  the bolts up? Stainless steel in aluminum is never happy.

I really thought I didn't have any major projects to do this spring.  :)
thx,
Lee