[Public-List] More Tachometer

Gordon Laco via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Wed Aug 23 13:47:46 PDT 2017

Hello gang –

So here’s the rest of the Tachometer story.  One of the several public and private responses I received was one from David Tessier.   Would you believe he had a surplus Universal A4 instrument panel just like mine, complete with a mechanical cable.

I sent David my FedEx account number… he packed it up same day and it started on it’s way to me the next morning.  It’s only Wednesday, so I reckon I introduced the subject to the group on Monday… he responded same day… FedEx picked up Tuesday… it was here, carefully packed and complete three hours ago.

I got on top of business here and about 40 minutes ago I left the office and went over to the boat…  my plan was to install David’s cable, and if that didn’t do the trick, switch the tachometer as well.

I undid my cable from the back of the panel… it’s a knurled knob so no tools were required.   I crawled over the engine and found the same on the engine end.  There as a moment of panic when I noticed the engine end of David’s cable appeared to be male, and so was the tach take-off port on the engine.  Then I got an idea…

I pulled on the male end on the engine…. Guess what.  It was not male, what I pulled out (easily) was the broken end of my cable.

So I set about putting the new engine end in… and found I was having difficulty making the pressed-in keyway match up.  What to do… aha! I pulled the hand start crank out, fitted it in the flywheel and wiggled the engine until I felt the cable end slip into place.

I washed my hands, started the engine, and hey presto… the tach works again.

David Tessier – thank you for your great generosity with your panel and the quick reaction.  If you don’t mind I’ll keep it against the day I need to replace the temp, amp, oil pressure, or the tach itself.

What a great resource this group is…

Gord

#426 Surprise

PS tonight is race night… it’s blowing a nice solid 12kts or so… I’ll be out there doing battle with a clear smooth brow, not worrying about anything but victory…