[Public-List] Working Jib and Inner Jib Tracks

Michael dickdurk at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 13:16:24 PST 2017

I have a working jib that sheets to the inner jib track. I had it built
many years ago in Texas and do not know what the measurements are, but i
am sure that I used the dimensions listed in the Manual. It is a
wonderful sail and is without battens. I had a set of reefpoints put in
it (when built) but have never used those.
Anyway, it seems to me the Sailmakers are covering their, umm, bases in
considering battens. If the leech is hollow cut (with maybe a leech line
for good measure), well, battens are used to support a roach-the
opposite of hollow cut. Since presumably a jib is set because of high
winds, no roach is desired.
I have a lot of respect for a skilled sailmaker-beats me how they get
the airfoil shape without flapping, but they do. I have a #2 genoa I
ordered with a full luff, the top 10' or so is really slender-it has
proper shape-no battens.

Michael Grosh