[Public-List] Hinged Mast Step Continued

Gerard Kuperus gkuperus at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 28 14:38:07 PST 2017

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
A lot of you don't seem to think it is a good idea...  I looked at the photo series of the A-Frame and read the description and to be honest taking the mast down that way freaks me out a bit. I guess it is what one is used to: I grew up in the Netherlands and am used to tall (over 50 ft) wooden masts on a tabernacle. For sure the forces on that are tremendous and you need big diameter cables and a winch, but it is possible and although everyone is always happy when the stick is back up, it is not a precarious endeavor.
To make it work on the Alberg 30 requires some good planning and the right materials. The Ballenger mast steps are quite sturdy and are not "off the shelf" items. My suspicion is that they are mostly making them for the boats in Santa Cruz. SC has a bridge and I have heard they have boats with masts up to 45' have hinged mast steps for that reason. In any case, I will ask Ballenger.
Looking at the drawing of Yves Gelinas set up (on capehorn.com) he has some hinge in the shrouds, exactly in line with the mast hinge. This is to make sure the tension remains more or less the same.
If I understood the comments correctly, some of you seem to think of a static A-frame. That is not what I had in mind. Gelinas actually uses his spinnaker pole, I was thinking of replacing it with a moving a-frame. When the mast is vertical the frame is horizontal (more or less), when the mast is horizontal (more or less) the frame is vertical.
Anyway, I will keep thinking about this and ask some more questions to those in the know! Obviously, I want to make sure it is a safe system.

Thanks again,

Gerard