[Public-List] Alberg seats/hatches

gordon white via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Thu Feb 2 16:58:02 PST 2017

   The hatch over the lazarette on my non-liner boat finally failed.
Under the teak strips was a piece of plywood that finally rotted. It (18
1/8 x 18 1/ 4") kept everything rigid. With it gone the teak frame
became unstable and the teak top strips came loose. I am in the process
of replacing the plywood piece with  1/4 inch acrylic (Lucite), which
will not rot but will bend enough to conform to the slight curvature of
the hatch. I have replaced badly rusted steel screws with brass and
stainless and used clear gorilla glue. After applying a couple of coats
of varnish to the frame I plan to reattach the top strips and give the
whole thing 10 coats of spar varnish.

  - Gordon White

Brigadoon II # 275