[Public-List] Battery and electrical system

tmthypk@gmail.com via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Wed Mar 15 15:03:53 PDT 2017

I have two questions about my battery and electrical systems. Last summer as I spend most of it working out various problems when I went, the electrical issued was a constant plague of problems and really just hope. Prior to one substantial fix, at one point I was banging on the start with a hammer to get the engine to start. Had to quickly drop my anchor in the channel entering the Magothy River! that was exciting.

The first is my need to buy a battery or batteries for my house bank. I have two batteries right now which a marina had put in for me when I was fixing up Nevermore. They are Interstate, dual purpose marine/RV batteries that have just simply gotten me by. I would like to keep the one as my starting battery, but I need more capacity for a house bank. My goal is to have the capability to be able to go cruising for up to a week or so. I would like to not have to run the engine every day, or limit that. Right now I have a 30watt solar panel and my electric load isn't all that high as I have all LED lights. I think the most consuming is the GPS/depth sounder and the Tiller Pilot. What are people's experience or recommendations? I do not want to modify anything and plan to keep the batteries banks where they are above the keel.

The other question I have, is I believe I really should re-wire everything that is in there now. I don't think what I have going on right now is efficient or even safe. I have very basic functional knowledge/skill level with this. For me to to start over and do it correctly is a little over my head even after all the reading I have done on it. My boat is on the Magothy (across from PSA) and I am hoping I could borrow someone's afternoon or evening for some real advice and perspective; compensatory beers or dinner would be assumed.

Thank you all!

Timothy Peek
Nevermore #219