[Public-List] knot meters

gordon white via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Wed Mar 22 11:21:39 PDT 2017

A tip to anyone who has an older Raymarine or similar knot meter

     I have had a knotmeter for a number of years that is run off a
thru-hull pickup with a little impeller. The thru-hull unit died last
fall and I have found that the style is no longer made. The
currently-made pickup will not fit in the old thru-hull housing, thus to
use a new one requires hauling one's boat and chiseling out the original
housing.

     (The change was made to facilitate pulling out the impeller to
clean it of gunk without hauling the boat. The old style came with a
plug. You pulled out the impeller, getting a bit of water in the boat
before you could get the plug in place. The new ones have a flapper
valve that reduces the amount of water that gets in to a minimum, but
the new unit is not interchangeable with the old one.)

     I have found that when the old impeller units fail, most of the
time it is in the associated water temperature transducer, built into
the impeller housing. When the temperature pickup fails the speed meter
will read only - - - - (dashes).

     But if you can "fool" the instrument into thinking it is still
getting temperature data, the speed part of the indicator will work.

     There are usually five leads in the wire to the instrument. Red and
Green are for speed, Brown and White for temperature, plus a grounded
shielding wire.

     If you attach the brown and white wires from the read-out
instrument through a small (1/4 watt or smaller) 100 K resistor, the
temperature reading will not work but the speed portion will. Has worked
for me with two impeller units.

     Also, it is well to lubricate the O-rings on the impeller unit with
a little silicone lube.

     And if your local marine instrument shop has any of the old-style
impeller units, even used, might be a good idea to lay in a spare now.

     _ Gordon White, Brigadoon II