[Public-List] Electricity Consumption

Gordon Laco via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Mon Mar 27 09:21:06 PDT 2017

We carry a hand held GPS which is mounted over the chart table/icebox top.

I always feel nervous when I read or hear of people going into places using their chart plotter which they wouldn’t go near using paper charts.  One day that screen will go blank… what then?

I am not a luddite to the point where I don’t believe people should use modern navigation systems, but I do feel uncomfortable that use of GPS and other devices sometimes encourages sailors to go where they otherwise wouldn’t.   Our routine aboard SURPRISE is to navigate and/or pilot traditionally (for us, that’s one of the pleasures of cruising) and use the GPS to confirm our dead reckoning or piloting positions as required.

Rod, please don’t take offense, I know you’re a good seaman.

Gord #426 Surprise