[Public-List] 2017 Pacific North West Alberg Design Rendezvous

Stephen Gwyn via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Fri Mar 31 14:24:07 PDT 2017

Hi,

Earlier, I sent the notice out for the next PNW Alberg
Rendezvous. Re-reading it, it's a bit dry. It's basically the
same text I send to magazines (Pacific Yachting and 48 North). I
thought I'd send a slightly longer description of what goes on at
these rendezvouses (what's the plural of rendezvous?)  If you say
to yourself, Hey, I think I've read that before, you're right.  I
sent it as a description of the 2016 rendezvous. Which was pretty
much the same as the 2015 rendezvous, the 2014 rendezvous
and... The location changes but that's about it.

The rendezvous followed the usual schedule. Most people showed up
Friday afternoon engendering an impromptu race if any two boats
arrive at more or less than same time. We went to the pub Friday
night. Saturday night, we had a potluck dinner followed by
raffling off the door prizes courtesy of a few local
sponsors (Trotac Marine in Victoria usually), followed by a
sing-a-long with an emphasis on sea-chanties.  Sunday, depending
on destination and currents, people headed off, engendering an
impromptu race if any two boats left at more or less than same
time.

In between all that, there was phenomenal amount of visiting back
and forth to everybody else's boat and discussion of good places
to go/engine problems and solutions/nice dodger where did get it
made/that's a cool storage compartment you've made can I see the
inside/how do keep your teak so shiny/furling jibs are the only
way to go/I'm sticking with hanks/Your Alberg 29 is a foot
shorter than an A30 but has way more space down below/yes but
remember how much faster you were leaving last year/my
Danforth/Bruce/CQR/Manson is the most reliable anchor ever/no it
isn't because/so have you replaced your atomic 4 yet/last year
you said you were putting a holding tank how did that go/where's
so-and-so this year/he sold/no he didn't he sailed to
Mexico/would you care a spot of wine/beer/rum/single malt/don't
mind if I do/come aboard then/where did you sail last
summer/where are you going this summer/how did you manage to fit
an oven in there is it gimbled...

You get the picture.

If one was historically inclined, one might refer to this
activity as "gamming". If one wasn't, the other word one might
use is "codgering". Basically about two months of this list
crammed into two days.

SG