[Public-List] Tomfoolery -- Alberg 35 Rigging Failure

Jonathan Bresler 262alberg30 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 07:51:24 PDT 2017

Wes,

Is there a particular concern regarding bronze clevis pins vs stainless
steel?

The only bronze clevis pin that remains on Constance is the one securing
the jibstay.
The stem appears to be chromed bronze with a bronze clevis pin connecting a
bronze toggle to the stem.
The bronze clevis fits the hole in the stem quite well, little play and
little space for the clevis to apply an uneven torque to the edges of the
hole in the stem.
The bronze toggle is connected to the stainless steel toggle of the Selden
roller furler using a stainless steel clevis.
All the cotter pins are stainless steel.

At some point, there may have been a shackle connected to one of the four
holes in the stem.  That particular
hole shows a lot of metal deformation, which i am guessing is from a
shackle working side to side against the stem.

Jonathan

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 9:12 AM, Wes Gardner via Public-List <

> I don't have too many bronze clevis pins in my stainless rigging...nor
> should you...
>
> On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 7:57 AM, Mike Lehman via Public-List <
>
> > I install brand new cotter pins every year.
> >
> > On Oct 30, 2017 9:14 PM, "Jonathan Bresler via Public-List" <
> > public-list at lists.alberg30.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Folks,
> > >
> > > Was catching up on issues of Good Old Boat this weekend.  Read about
> the
> > > rigging failure on Tomfoolery, an Alberg 35, in the September/October
> > > issue.  A steel cotter pin, inserted into a bronze clevis pin securing
> > the
> > > jib stay, corroded and in corroding increased in diameter. The cotter
> pin
> > > was a tight fit and in corroding split the clevis pin securing the
> > jibstay
> > > to the stem.
> > >
> > > Got to wondering about Constance.  If that was the case on an Alberg
> 35,
> > > then perhaps Alberg 30's might have the same issue.   Happy to report
> > that
> > > the cotter pin was not corroded and was not a tight fit in the bronze
> > > clevis pin.   However, one of the two bent legs of the cotter pin had
> > > broken off.  The other leg broke off immediately upon my first attempt
> > > straighten it in order to replace the cotter pin.   Cotter pin has been
> > > replaced with another, one that is just a bit small so that there is a
> > bit
> > > of room between the cotter pin and the clevis pin.
> > >
> > > You may wish to check yours as well.  The article starts on page 36 of
> > the
> > > September/October 2017 issue of Good Old Boat.
> > >
> > > Jonathan
> > > --
> > > Jonathan M Bresler
> > > S/V Constance Alberg 30 #262