[Public-List] Tiller wobble and possible fix.

Jonathan Bresler 262alberg30 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 17:12:41 PST 2017

Folks,

Got tiller wobble,  The metal H shaped section connecting the tiller to the
rudder head fitting does not fit as tightly as I would like.  Initial
movements of the tiller take up slack then finally start to move the
rudder.   Decided I needed to do something about this.

Obtained two pieces of top shelf aluminum shim stock from the side of a
Heinekin beer car.  Folded the two pieces in half.  Trimmed the pieces to
match the height of the H fitting and a similar length. Drilled a 3/8" hole
in the center of each of the two.  Installed one shim on each side of the
rudder head fitting between the rudder head and the tiller H fitting.

Went sailing today.   Comparatively NO wobble.  Nice tight response.
 Shouid have done this a while ago.  Hoping that the aluminum shim stock is
softer than other metals, bronze for the rudder head, and steel(?) for the
H fitting.  Would be happy to replace the shim stock every year in order to
prevent wear of the other parts.

Thoughts?   Am I risking corrosion damage?

Jonathan

P.S. Stole the idea of using beer can shim stock from Robert Pirsig's
_Zen_and_the_Art_of_Motorcycle_Maintenance_.  Hard to believe that the book
is forty-three years old now.

--
Jonathan M Bresler
S/V Constance Alberg 30 #262