[Public-List] Tiller play and washers

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Thu Nov 23 19:01:47 PST 2017

Hello,

I have used brass washers (if thin) or bronze (if the gap is larger)
with good success at reducing side play in the tiller head. Be sure the
washers are large enough to cover as much as the bearing surface as
possible, and don't have much play on the bolt. It is easy to
over-tighten the pivot screw at the back of the fitting.

Also note that the "forks" need to be parallel, or you will not get the
maximum friction and will induce uneven wear. I'm pretty sure that I
needed washers on both sides to bring the forks back to being parallel,
but I don't  have easy access to the boat now..

--Dan Sternglass
Watcher of the Skies, #201, 1966, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY

dans at stmktg.com
office: +1607-257-3431
mobile: +1607-592-8012

Strategic Marketing Associates