[Public-List] Engine cooling plumbing - Yanmar

Chris Martin notcmartin at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 27 11:33:40 PST 2017

 Hello
Please let me know when I reach my question limit. While I'm waiting on parts I started taking more the boat apart. I cleaned the heat exchanger, plan to replace cooling hoses and impeller and am thinking about the mixing elbow. One thing I'm not sure about is the layout of the cooling line from the heat exchanger to the mixing elbow. I've found a few opinions on this, anyone gone through this lately? Yanmar 2gm20-f.
I found this which is close to what I have
http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l518/svsundowner/boatexh.jpg

I need to figure out the waterline measurement, it doesnt seem like 12" is an issue.
I would like to remove this if only to simplify and reduce the number of connections/clamps. Just put it back the way it was, replace the loop/vent? Or just straight shot from the heat exchanger to the exhaust?
Also, my mixing elbow is soaking, anyone have a good source for these? How long do they normally last? This is the first I've touched this part of the boat so I have no idea how old it is.
Thanks
Chris