[Public-List] Roller Reefing

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Wed Oct 4 07:03:50 PDT 2017

On 10/4/17 5:30 AM, Jonathan Bresler via Public-List wrote:
> "the convenience (of roller furling) still cant be beat"
>
> You can say that again!   I also single hand the vast majority of the
> time.  Flaking and folding the genoa, at the end of the seaons for
> instance, takes me about 15 minutes, I guess, on the dock.  Spend nearly
> the whole time going back and forth from luff to leech matching the folds.
> If I had to do that every time, my guess is that I would sail less often.
> If not less often, then for shorter periods.

On the boat, I flake the genoa on the side deck while it's still on the
forestay. First I neaten up the folds of the luff at the stay. Then I
pull back on the clew and fold from the leech roughly the same as the
folds on the forestay. I do this following the leech up the side deck to
the bow, and then go back to the clew and fold the flaked sail toward
the bow. Only then do I remove the hanks from the forestay and put the
sail in the bag (in either order). Or, when cruising, I use an
ever-ready bag and leave the bagged sail on the forestay.

It's not as neat as two-people flaking the sail on the dock, but it
works pretty well for single-handing.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org