[Public-List] Roller Reefing

Jonathan Bresler 262alberg30 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 07:55:41 PDT 2017

Makes a lot of sense, George.

Wondering what folks do with a roller furler sail.  When a roller furler
sailed is down on deck only the three corners are attached.  That leaves
the 30'+ luff of the sail unattached, but for the head and the tack,
waiting for wind or wave to sweep the body of the sail overboard.

Was thinking that one way to handle this was via grommets in the luff of
the sail with a line threaded through...folks have said that there is too
much friction in such a setup.  Guess that reducing the number of grommets
would reduce the friction while increasing the size of each "fold", the
length of luff between grommets, between lowest grommet and the tack, and
between the highest grommet and the head.

So how do folks with roller furler sails handle sail changes when the wind
is piping up and the wind and waves are trying to sweep the roller furler
genoa off the into the sea?

Jonathan

On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 10:03 AM George Dinwiddie via Public-List <