[Public-List] Roller Reefing

Jonathan Bresler 262alberg30 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 02:30:02 PDT 2017

"the convenience (of roller furling) still cant be beat"

You can say that again!   I also single hand the vast majority of the
time.  Flaking and folding the genoa, at the end of the seaons for
instance, takes me about 15 minutes, I guess, on the dock.  Spend nearly
the whole time going back and forth from luff to leech matching the folds.
If I had to do that every time, my guess is that I would sail less often.
If not less often, then for shorter periods.

Charles, what do you to keep the body of the sail on the boat when changing
to a smaller headsail in significant wind?   Once the sail is out of the
furler, only the tack, head and clew are attached to the boat.  Seems to me
that the body of the sail could go over the side, in the wind, quite easily.

Jonathan

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 4:49 PM, charles pleisse via Public-List <

> My furler is one of the early examples from Harkin.  If I recall correctly
> the reciept for it is dated 1983 or 84.  The literature does talk about
> reefing.  I don't use it in that way.  Way too much stress on the sail if
> reefed enough to make a difference and the sail becomes far less
> efficient.  I just go forward and change the sail.  I believe even that
> process is made simpler with the furler as you don't have to fiddle with
> the hanks.
> All of our boats are/have been equipped with a boom that does the same
> thing.  I've been around Albergs for the better part of a decade now and
> have yet to see on reefing the main on the boom.  Roller reefing just
> doesn't work.  Too many compromises.
> As a person who singlhands 90% of the time, the convenience still cant be
> beat. I can go to the boat and sail off the hook under headsail without
> leaving the cockpit, save for letting go of the mooring.
>
> Charles Pleisse
> College Park Bicycles
> ( <http://www.bike123.com>301)864-2211

> source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=icon>
> Virus-free.
> source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=link>

Jonathan M Bresler
S/V Constance Alberg 30 #262
Annapolis/Eastport MD