[Public-List] MD DNR Boating Rules - Grounding

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Sat Oct 21 06:17:22 PDT 2017

Years ago when I was Executive Director of Toronto Brigantine, the Canadian Coast Guard called me up on fall asking for and accident report.   What accident, I asked...

I learned that the Coasties record all VHF traffic and review it... They found conversations between one of our brigantines and other vessels in which we declined help getting off a sand bar.  The CCG called that grounding an accident.

In my innocence I replied 'oh that's not an accident, we do that sort if thing all the time.  We just hauled her off ourselves as an exercise of seamanship for the crew'

Buzzzzz!  Wrong answer

.  I had two I inspectors in my office that afternoon.   Lucky for me, they were thorough seamen and understood what I meant to say... And told me how to more appropriately respond the next time they asked the question.

Gord #426 Surprise