[Public-List] reporting groundings

gordon white gewhite at crosslink.net
Sun Oct 22 17:47:27 PDT 2017

        Well, my first reaction is that if the USCG has to at least read
and file someone's report every time a boat (of any size) goes aground
in Chesapeake Bay they probably cannot be doing anything else. Having no
idea a grounding report was required, nevertheless I wrote the USCG last
summer after going aground in three feet of water in the middle of what
the chart showed as a nine foot channel, and about 40 feet from a marker
(on the correct side of the marker.)

     This was in Virginia waters.  I suppose I'd better review Virginia
rules, but I suspect Virginia really doesn't care about meaningless
groundings. (Maybe if you are the USS Missouri they do)

     Just think of the number of small power boats that intentionally
"ground" on sand bars to let children wade/swim.

  Mike: Does the USCG really require such reports, or is just Maryland DNR?

  - Gordon White, Brigadoon II