[Public-List] Second last Wednesday Race of the Season...

Gordon Laco via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Thu Sep 21 13:59:18 PDT 2017

Hello again – I should have added in my story below... that we were anchored amidst nearly 1,000 yachts who where also watching the air show...

On 2017-09-21, 4:55 PM, "Public-List on behalf of Gordon Laco via Public-List" <public-list-bounces at lists.alberg30.org on behalf of public-list at lists.alberg30.org> wrote:

    Back in Folkboat days, my friend Barry and I used to call doing things like sail into the club under spinnaker ‘sea scourging’.

    It’s good to be a sea scourge, but only if one is extremely careful not to fail.   The line between being a sea scourge and being an idiot is thin.

    One time many years ago, for some reason I was alone aboard TOUCH WOOD anchored off Toronto’s Gibraltar Point watching the CNE’s air show.  After the show was over, I decided to sail off the anchor... so up went the main.  I went forward as nonchalantly as I could to hoist the anchor... and discovered that as soon as it was off the bottom, the boat began sailing (surprised?  Shouldn’t have been)  Now I was scrambling to get the hook up, but I realized I wasn’t going to make it before TW sailed herself over and up against another yacht still at anchor to our port.  I cleated the anchor line with about 30’ still hanging down to the hook and scrambled back to the tiller.  We were bearing down on the other yacht, who as one can imagine, was now watching us with great interest.  I started trying to bear away to go round his stern, but with the main alone up, TW didn’t much want to bear away.  So over went the helm the other way... in came the mainsheet, and we began climbing to windward to go over his bow.

    We’d have made it with plenty to spare, if not for the anchor hanging down.  It caught the other guy’s anchor line, snubbed us smartly, and spun TW’s bow down wind.  In no time we were alongside nose to tail, fending each other off.

    Was the other guy pissed off?  I was starting to apologize but he just said ‘that would have been a neat move if your boat had taken a slant the other way instead of toward me.’    And he smiled.  I realized he was a sea scourge too.

    Gord

    #426 Surprise