[Public-List] topping lifts

Alberg30 Association Secretary via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Mon Sep 25 18:37:28 PDT 2017

When raising the main to max hoist, which raised the gooseneck on its track
to the highest position, I found that i could raise the main far enough
that the topmost slide popped off the top end of the track. Removed a flat
head screw from the gooseneck track and replaced it with a bolt to prevent
the gooseneck from rising far enough to allow the topmost slide to pop off
the track.

Perhaps the luff of my main has been stretched?  Don't know.  Since placing
that bolt the problem has gone away.

Jonathan

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 6:09 PM Mike Meinhold via Public-List <

> If your topping lift must be on to prevent the boom from hitting the
> dodger, you are suffering from very poor main trim.  I suggest you try an
> experiment - take the dodger down and take the topping lift off, and try
> sailing upwind. I am sure you will see the difference.  Tjhe mainsheet must
> be allowed to change the tension in the leech, and the topping lift
> prevents this.  That said, you can use a topping lift to open the leech if
> needed.
>
> The solution may be as simple as raising the main at the mast as high as
> possbile.  Make sure there is no downhaul limiting the hieight of the
> gooseneck, and make sure the gooseneck is free to go up in the track..
>
> Mike
> Rinn Duin #272
>
> On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 5:53 PM, James Cowhey via Public-List <
>
> > That had been my experience except with wire lifts not braided line.
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> > > On Sep 25, 2017, at 4:52 PM, gordon white via Public-List <
> > public-list at lists.alberg30.org> wrote:
> > >
> > >    O.K., I'm going to reveal my ignorance here. I have been sailing
> > since 1942, not only on my boats, but with a number of other sailors on
> > other boats, but I have never seen a topping lift un-hooked from the boom
> > while sailing.  Now I once had a gaff-rigged schooner that had no topping
> > lifts, but on marconi-rigged sloops the topping lift has always remained
> in
> > place.
> > >
> > >    It keeps the boom from hitting my dodger (or my head) when coming
> > about and has other uses, mostly involving safety. Attempting to release
> > and re-attach a lift even in a near-calm, strikes me as hazardous. I
> have a
> > woven dacron topping lift that does not seem to hazard the roach of the
> > main.
> > >

> > >    Have I been sadly in error these 75 years??
> > >

> > > Gordon White
> > >
> > > Brigadoon II

*Alberg 30 Association Secretary*