[Public-List] Batteries, solar panel.

Marcelo D. Gentinetta vanguard64 at cox.net
Fri Aug 3 20:53:45 PDT 2018

Good evening,
 I would like to know the group’s opinion on battery capacity and recharging options for my Alberg 30. Some facts about my boat are:
1. 80% daysailed. 20% 2-4 day long weekend cruises.
2. Boat is at a marina.
3. Worst case electricity consumption for an overnight cruise is at 25 amps/day. All LED cabin lights, LED tricolor/anchor light. No fridge. Stereo/VHF. Low draw Hella fans (2). Occasional use of Raymarine tiller pilot. Running lights on with engine. Cellphone/tablet recharge.
4. Presently has two gp 27s dual use West marine flooded batteries in under cabin sole. Each has 80ah capacity.
5. Atomic 4 has 55 amp alternator with 2 blade prop.
6. Guest smart charger on shore power keeps batteries up at marina.

I am looking for more independence  from shore power to charge the batteries. My total battery ampacity is limited. Where to locate another house battery? My present idea is to add a 60W solar panel off the stern pulpit with a charge controller to both batteries that should produce about 20-25 amps on a good day.
Based on all this, I appreciate your input.

Marcelo
“Alegría” #441