[Public-List] Batteries, solar panel.

Greg Hounsell greg.hounsell at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 13:20:28 PDT 2018

Marcelo;

Your house and start battery, from how you describe it, going through the
battery selector switch are not "in parallel" unless the switch is set to
"both". In terms of this discussion I would think of them as separate banks.

Before adding a second house battery, how old and used is the one you have?
The reason asking is that adding a new battery in parallel to an older
battery can potentially shorten the new battery's life if there is more
than say a couple years difference. An older battery slowly over time loses
it's capacity to reach 100% charge, nor hold charge as easily as a new
battery. If, say the existing battery can only ever be charged to 90% then
when you connect the new battery to it they will try to equalize. The
weaker drawing down the newer.

If you are not using them in parallel but as separate banks they can be
placed where most convenient. Some people do this and alternate which
battery gets used each day as the other gets charged.

Cheers
Greg

On Sat, Aug 4, 2018, 3:14 PM Marcelo D. Gentinetta via Public-List <