[Public-List] Boarding Ladders

Marcelo D. Gentinetta vanguard64 at cox.net
Sun Aug 12 08:55:21 PDT 2018

Hi Daniel,
I am glad you had a good sail yesterday. Regardless of the type of boarding ladder you choose, if you single-hand I would use a tether and jackline system to avoid falling off to begin with. I use a wooden/rope ladder that I made for myself. It is fashioned after the traditional pilot’s ladder with flat 4 X 12 inch rungs that are connected by a loop of thick 3 strand rope. There are 2 carbiners at the top which are hooked to the base of the shrouds. The ladder is long enough (5 rungs) that you can get your first foot on without much difficulty when in the water. The wood slats never contact the hull sides because of the rope around each rung.
Take care,
Marcelo