[Public-List] Radio interference problems from marine LED lighting

R Kirk isobar at verizon.net
Wed Aug 22 16:32:17 PDT 2018

>From an expert associate of mine [My translation = Live with it]:

LED’s will run DC at the diode so are actually not the problem. The power supply (ballast, transformer, inverter/rectifier, etc)  would be a problem.  If boat power is DC then a good light would have a DC/DC which should not XMT at all.  A poor quality (bad design, mismatched, unshielded) power supply can cause issues.

Now that being said, the VHF emitter could have a resonance with wiring/circuit board of the light causing feedback.  That could happen and it would be just bad luck on a particular combination of boat, antenna, and light.  If these are mounted on top of a flat base plane (like the cover of something), then the design, frequency and spacing would all come into play on interference.  This could happen to any combo of things.  Best solution would be to shield and ground the lamp to eliminate that, but that would take some RF design knowledge.

I suspect the latter explanation would cause isolated and tough-to-reproduce issues hence the urban legend status.