[Public-List] To Gord, Mike, Joe B and the rest of the smart guys

John Johnston danceswithwood at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 25 13:43:24 PDT 2018

I am in the process of mounting a new  self-deploying bowroller on # 69, and what I have come up with is a 1/2” aluminum fabricated piece that rests on the existing bronze  bow fitting, with a 316 bowroller atop of that, the aluminum extending  aft far enough to attach through a “ bridge” that can be throughbolted through the deck with a mounting plate beneath. At the bow the aluminum will be drilled and then the bowroller will be fastened through the aluminum and into tapped holes in the bronze. There is room for one through bolt to gain purchase. It will certainly be strong enough on Day 1, but am I building a sandwich of dissimilar metals that is doomed to fail?  I suspect that the bolts strapping it together would be bronze, because that would be the material I am threading into, but I have a growing sense that the design might be ill-considered. Perhaps the sandwiched piece between bronze and stainless would better be wood?  Advice would be very welcome, not the least because the aluminum piece is due to be fabricated from a template I made, and the cost of that is not at all negligible. Especially if it don’t work. I look forward to hearing from the Alberg Brain Trust. Thanks!