[Public-List] No Anchors

Michael Grosh dickdurk at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 10:58:15 PDT 2018

There is a movie called "Surf Nazis Must Die". I don't know what the film
is about,  but best title ever.
Michael with the German surname

On Aug 28, 2018 10:43 AM, "Gordon Laco via Public-List" <

I think the issue of hooking rigging during a collision is the concern… and
that can increase the possible damage by 1000% if a rig comes down where
otherwise there might have just been a glancing bump.

But yes, always best to not hit people.

We have a member in our club who took a few years to realize that something
like 15 years ago the IYRU rewrote the rule book essentially removing the
old quite aggressive grammar in racing.

When I was crewing in Toronto in the late ’60’s to the later ’80’s I had a
succession of skippers over the years who while successful, were very
aggressive.  In the old days, if one were on starboard tack, one could use
right of way to collision and win the protest… since the change, if there’s
a collision you’re both out unless there’s strong evidence that the
collision could not be avoided.

Our colleague here didn’t understand that and felt he was being put upon
unfairly… once suggesting people ‘didn’t like him because of his German
heritage’.    I talked with him that night to talk (I wasn’t involved in
that protest, but didn’t like the ugly turn things were taking) and told
him ‘there are lots of people here with German sounding names, they get on
fine… the problem is that people think you’re cheating’.  He was stunned -
we continued talking… discussing the rule changes that changed everything…
I showed him the photo of SURPRISE I have as wallpaper on my iPhone - nice
shot of us rounding a mark, and there to windward covering us is his boat.
I said ‘X, here’s an example of what I’m talking about.  You are in A
Fleet, we’re rated in B.  We really don’t need to crap on each other out
there but look - you could have passed us to leeward, but there you are,
jamming inside us after the leeward mark basically stopping us.  You didn’t
have to do that - it didn’t do you any good, and it hurt us a lot.  That’s
not good sportsmanship.    I described the battles we have with MAID MARION
and SUNDANCER… we fight hard but we fight cleanly so we are all friends.
Racing that way is not only very satisfying, it’s legal!

We talked a long time… and this year he’s a lot better - even friendly.  He
still wins but now without having his finishes constantly contested by
protests… everyone is happier.   I sincerely hope I’m not the only guy who
reached out to him.

So, another friend of ours was in Germany this summer racing in the 5.5Mtr
fleet at Kiel… when he got home I asked him what it was like.  John said
‘Christ!  They’re ALL LIKE XXXX! Collisions all over the place, barging, no
giving right of way, they don’t just call ‘starboard’, they pound on their
hulls and scream…  ‘   We laughed.

Gordon Laco
#426 Surprise

> On Aug 28, 2018, at 10:24 AM, Michael Connolly via Public-List <
>
> Rod,
> As has been suggested. Some felt that having the anchor stowed on the bow
would contribute to greater damage during a collision. I always thought how
much more damage 10%..... 5%....3%?  Is it really worth worrying about?
The first rule of racing...………...avoid collisions at any cost. But they do
happen.
> Michael
>> On August 27, 2018 at 8:31 PM Rod Symmes via Public-List <
>>

>> I have been thinking about the NO  ANCHOR ON THE BOW.
>>
>> I can't help wonder if there is more to the rule than   “All anchors
shall be removed from the bow and stored below”.

>> I wouldn't be surprised if the concern isn't members tied up at the club
with their anchors hanging over the dock and constituting a hazard to
people walking the docks.  Liability may be the real issue.   If this is
the case, it would seem to me to be more useful to require boats to either
tie up  further back in the slip or stern to.  This would be more effective
than removing the anchor - some of those roller / mounts would still be
obstructing the dock.