[Public-List] Propelled Shaft Leak

Daniel Swords danielswords at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 29 07:09:25 PDT 2018

Oh no, a dreaded propeller shaft leak. Right now it is just at the aggravating point where it is large enough to be noticeable (bilge pumps cycling on for 8 - 10 seconds about every 4 - 6 hours) but too slow to definitely determine the source. But my propeller shaft is my prime suspect. Either my PSS dripless shaft seal or the space between the shaft tube and the deadwood (deadfiberglass?). The area is wet but no identifiable drips or trickle of water. Unfortunately my 15 gallon aluminum diesel fuel tank is located under the cockpit sole and over the shaft seal. My initial question is, if the fuel tank must be removed (a nearly impossible task that may require removal of my Yanmar diesel engine-apparently the cockpit sole was removed and replaced at some point and the engine and tank were installed during that process by a PO) what are some suggestions for a replacement tank and location?  Currently 5 gallons of fuel lasts me over a month, lots of sailing but very little motoring.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone