[Public-List] Propelled Shaft Leak

Jonathan Bresler 262alberg30 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 09:49:26 PDT 2018

Daniel,

Jonathan Adams, Laughing Gull #197, installed a Moeller Marine tank in the
starboard cockpit locker, like George mentioned above.
You can read about the job
https://alberg30maintenance.wordpress.com/2016/12/11/fuel-tank-replacement/
Moeller makes one the port side
http://moellermarine.com/moeller-marine/fuel-containment/19-gallon-permanent-below-deck-boat-fuel-tank-port-side-withdraw-032618/
and a different one for the starboard side
http://moellermarine.com/moeller-marine/fuel-containment/19-gallon-permanent-below-deck-boat-fuel-tank-starboard-side-withdraw-032718/
Its a tight fit, but it does fit.  Each one is 19 gallons.

Much better location than that of the 12 gallon tank that the previous
owner installed in the aft lazarette of Constance #262.

Jonathan

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 10:47 AM, George Dinwiddie via Public-List <

> Daniel,
>
> To answer the question you asked, many people put a saddle tank in the
> starboard cockpit locker.
>
> A couple other things to consider:
>
> 1. When I reinstalled my shaft tube, I discovered that the seal around the
> tube is not what keeps the water out of the boat. It's the caulking of the
> cutless bearing housing that does that. The caulking around the tube holds
> it in place.
>
> 2. If you can't get to the shaft seal from the front or top, you might be
> able to get to it from the side. See http://alberg30.org/maintenanc
> e/Steering/AccessToStuffingBox/
>
>  - George
>
> On 8/29/18 10:09 AM, Daniel Swords via Public-List wrote:
>
>> Oh no, a dreaded propeller shaft leak. Right now it is just at the
>> aggravating point where it is large enough to be noticeable (bilge pumps
>> cycling on for 8 - 10 seconds about every 4 - 6 hours) but too slow to
>> definitely determine the source. But my propeller shaft is my prime
>> suspect. Either my PSS dripless shaft seal or the space between the shaft
>> tube and the deadwood (deadfiberglass?). The area is wet but no
>> identifiable drips or trickle of water. Unfortunately my 15 gallon aluminum
>> diesel fuel tank is located under the cockpit sole and over the shaft seal.
>> My initial question is, if the fuel tank must be removed (a nearly
>> impossible task that may require removal of my Yanmar diesel
>> engine-apparently the cockpit sole was removed and replaced at some point
>> and the engine and tank were installed during that process by a PO) what
>> are some suggestions for a replacement tank and location?  Currently 5
>> gallons of fuel lasts me over a month, lots of sailing but very little
>> motoring.
>>
> --
>   When I remember bygone days                         George Dinwiddie
>   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
>   So many I loved were not yet dead,           http://www.Alberg30.org
>   So many I love were not yet born.                          also see:
>                'The Middle' by Ogden Nash     http://idiacomputing.com

Jonathan M Bresler
S/V Constance Alberg 30 #262
Annapolis/Eastport MD