[Public-List] Fwd: Against horizontal laminations for the mast beam

Randy Katz randy.katz50 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 18:09:09 PST 2018

Greetings, All,

I agree that the horizontally laminated mast beams would seem to be a poor
choice structurally, regardless of the more efficient use of wood.  I also
installed  the aluminum plate supports to help my horizontally laminated
mast beam. (They were bolted through on the fore and aft sides of the
beam). But I could see that the bolts running through/between the existing
laminated beam was not really going to provide a lot of vertical
support. None the less, I put it in.

Agreed: an automobile jack--using light pressure-- sitting atop plywood
layers on the sole, to distribute the pressure, along with sistered 2x4s or
a 4x4 post worked well for jacking up the beam. Be sure to loosen shrouds
first, of course.

I'm not an engineer, but it seems pretty clear to me that replacing the
beam with solid wood, metal, or some other sturdy materials would be best.
Forget the laminating, and you won't need the aluminum plates either.

Cheers,
Randy Katz
Bellingham/Seattle, WA

Today's Topics: