[Public-List] Rudder rebuild - brass or bronze

Chip Dance chipdance01 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 09:07:24 PST 2018

Hello all,
I am in the process of rebuilding the rudder on #456*. *A previous owner
(or two) had done the drill/tap repair at the bottom of the post, replacing
the pin with a headless bolt, but the threads in the embedded brass post
are so loose & corroded they are chipping away and hardly hold the pellet
sized bolt that remains. I have separated the rudder and plan to replace
the middle & lower rudder post pieces. Research & appearance suggest the
post pieces are brass. Any arguments for or against switching to bronze? I
haven't decided yet if I am going to replace the slightly worn shoe as
well. I think the shoe is actually bronze. Does that sound correct?

Thanks for the input,
Chip
*s/v Natalie B #456*