[Public-List] Repainting the Deck and Original Non-skid

Mike Lehman mlehman at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 04:49:49 PST 2018

Check out Merinaut in Annapolis, I painted the deck on that boat with Kiwi
Grip 3 years ago. Also I have done much of our boat and will paint the side
deck and cabin deck this spring, also with quick fair filler added Kiwi
Grip finish.

On Feb 20, 2018 5:28 AM, "Jonathan Bresler via Public-List" <

Wes,

Thank you for that.  Would be quite disappointing to paint and then watch
defects develop in spots over the surface.

How should I de-wax the surfaces?

What paint systems have you used and how satisfied were/are you with the
results?

MIke Lehman recommended SystemThree QuickFair for fairing surfaces above
the waterline, if I remember correctly.
https://www.systemthree.com/products/silvertip-quikfair-epoxy-fairing-putty

Jonathan

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 11:26 PM, Wes Gardner <wesgardner1952 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> Everything needs to be de-waxed first. This is a good idea as sanding and
> other prep can force the wax into the porous gelcoat. Dunno what paint
> system you intend, some are rather finicky when it comes to contaminates
> like wax...you’ll get fish-eyeing...
>
> I’ve done it a couple of ways over the years. The “flat” surfaces ( the
> surfaces without non-skid) can be sanded to maybe 320 grit. 3M makes a
good
> acrylic spot putty that’s good for the small stuff, larger imperfections
> can be filled with thickened epoxy.  There are some polyester fillers,
> BONDO. Is NOT. One of them...
>
> The non-skid can be gone over with a Scotch pad and then primed and
> painted.  Keep in mind that on older surfaces, by the time you prep and
> paint, the non-skid might not be too “grippy.” I have sanded it completely
> off and then built up a non-skid pattern with “special” non-skid grit. An
> alternative is Kiwigrip.
> I ‘ve also matched the diamond pattern with sheets of diamond-pattern
> rubber that’s made for this purpose.
>
>  Good luck!
>
> Wes
>
> > On Feb 19, 2018, at 4:08 PM, Jonathan Bresler via Public-List <
> >
> > Dear Albergers,
> >
> > Believe that it might be time to repaint the deck, at least the cockpit.
> > There are areas that are comparatively smooth and sections that are
> > textured with a diamond shaped pattern.  What should I do to prepare
> these
> > areas for painting?
> >
> > Jonathan
> > --