[Public-List] Repainting the Deck and Original Non-skid

Wes Gardner wesgardner1952 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 20:26:43 PST 2018

Hi Jonathan,

Everything needs to be de-waxed first. This is a good idea as sanding and other prep can force the wax into the porous gelcoat. Dunno what paint system you intend, some are rather finicky when it comes to contaminates like wax...you’ll get fish-eyeing...

I’ve done it a couple of ways over the years. The “flat” surfaces ( the surfaces without non-skid) can be sanded to maybe 320 grit. 3M makes a good acrylic spot putty that’s good for the small stuff, larger imperfections can be filled with thickened epoxy.  There are some polyester fillers, BONDO. Is NOT. One of them...

The non-skid can be gone over with a Scotch pad and then primed and painted.  Keep in mind that on older surfaces, by the time you prep and paint, the non-skid might not be too “grippy.” I have sanded it completely off and then built up a non-skid pattern with “special” non-skid grit. An alternative is Kiwigrip.
I ‘ve also matched the diamond pattern with sheets of diamond-pattern rubber that’s made for this purpose.

 Good luck!

Wes