[Public-List] New sails

Marcelo D. Gentinetta vanguard64 at cox.net
Mon Jul 2 18:18:05 PDT 2018

Greetings from New Orleans.
I would like to field different opinions on the subject of sails, specifically furler headsail size. I have started sailing my A30 just in the last month after 1year spent refitting her. I bought her with a 10y old mainsail that needs replacement and a 7y old 150% genoa (very good condition but no foam in luff) on a Profurl furler. On my previous boat, Pearson Vanguard, I had hank on headsails. So, I had a 90% jib, 125% and 150% genoas and I would select them accordingly. Now, aside from seeing the real convenience of a headsail furler, I find myself questioning what size headsail would best fit most conditions encountered here throughout the year. I am also planning on purchasing a new main but that is pretty straightforward. Summer winds here are between 5-12k and then they pick up in the fall, winter and spring. As fronts move in, we’ll go out in 15-20k gusting to 25k. Over 25k we’ll usually stay in port. So here are some options I have been toiling with.
1. New main plus my present 150% genoa with added foam pad in the luff for better shape when partially furled.
2. New main plus a 125% genoa with foam pad luff “fall/winter sail” and keep the 150% as is for summer use.
3. New main plus 135-140% genoa with foam pad luff and keep the 150% as spare.

I appreciate your input. Hopefully, it won’t be as contentious as anchor selection.
Marcelo
#441 Alegría