[Public-List] headsails

gordon white gewhite at crosslink.net
Tue Jul 3 05:58:17 PDT 2018

     While I understand the issues with using a furler to partially-reef
a headsail, at the age of nearly 85 I am nowhere near as agile, or
strong, as I once was. Changing a headsail has become onerous, and if I
had to do it I would sail a lot less. Actually, folding the main and
getting it into its cover is a big job, and we only use the main when
sailing at least all day. For a brief hour or three we just use the 150%
jib. We are not racing, and getting the last knot out of the boat is not
important.

     Just a word of warning: Check the reefing line on your furler. Last
fall ours pulled out of the furler in winds higher than for which a 150%
sail was comfortable and there was no way to get it back in place on a
pitching foredeck. I lost my glasses overboard trying. It was blowing
nearly 30 knots and we had to tack to get back home from Cape Charles,
so it was an adventure. Seems the furling line and deteriorated just
enough for the line to become loose where it was pinned into the furler
drum.

  - Gordon White, Brigadoon II, # 275, Deltaville, VA