[Public-List] New sails

Jonathan Bresler 262alberg30 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 06:15:43 PDT 2018

To expand upon "A good traveler helps a lot."

Once the wind builds a bit, the boat starts to heel over too much
developing weather helm, the tendency to round up into the wind.
To stay on course, one has to pull the tiller to windward which slows the
boat, is tiring, and requires constant attention.

An adjustment to make early in the process, before reefing, or putting a
"bubble" in the main,
is to ease the traveller to leeward.  Easing the traveller will reduce the
force in the main, reduce heeling,
and reduce weather helm.

In gusty conditions, its easy to ease the traveller when a gust is about to
hit the boat, and then return the
traveller to neutral position once the gust has passed.   Its much easier
to "play" the traveller than to
make the other sail shape changes repeatedly flatten the main during gusts
only to give the main more depth
as the wind eases between the gusts.

In sustained heavier winds, going to the outhaul, more halyard tension,
then a reef, is the way to go.

At least, this is how I am working the boat at this point in my learning.
 Now if only we had some wind
on the Chesapeake.  Becoming a frequent sailor has made me come to dislike
high pressure systems.

Jonathan

On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 9:01 AM, Mike Lehman via Public-List <

Jonathan M Bresler
S/V Constance Alberg 30 #262
Annapolis/Eastport MD