[Public-List] Alternators...

Jonathan Bresler 262alberg30 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 15:06:46 PDT 2018

Would suggest purchasing a DC clamp ammeter.
The ammeter measures the current flow through a conductor.
Bought one for Constance.  Quite useful to have.
Allows you to know how much current the alternator is producing.
Please note: if the batteries are fairly well charged, the alternator
will produce less current.   Good to run all your electrical loads for
a while, then start the engine and measure the current during the
first minutes.

Allows you to create the curve that show what your engine
alternator is producing.  Useful to compare over time to see if
the values change.

Don't need a fancy (expensive) one.  Don't need precise readings,
rather readings to within an amp or several.   Would recommend
the Craftsman that I bought, but its been discontinued.

Jonathan

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 5:21 PM, Anders Bro via Public-List <

> Yes, so multiply that rpm by the pulley ratio to come up with alternator
> rpm, and make your own plot of output vs engine rpm?
>
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2018, 4:57 PM Gordon Laco via Public-List <
>
> > True, but it’s the engine that has the RPM instrument…
> >
> > Gordon Laco
> > www.gordonlaco.com
> > #426 Surprise
> >

> > > On Jul 16, 2018, at 4:53 PM, Anders Bro via Public-List <
> > public-list at lists.alberg30.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Ya, but isn't that alternator rpm and not engine speed? Usually the
> > pulleys
> > > are sized to have alternator rpm higher than engine rpm.
> > > Anders
> > >
> > > On Jul 16, 2018 4:39 PM, "Gordon Laco via Public-List" <
> > > public-list at lists.alberg30.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello friends…
> > >
> > > Do any of you have data on what the output curve of our Atomic IV’s
> > > alternators will put out at various RPM’s?
> > >
> > > I’m looking at Moyer’s modern alternators, and noticed that they give
> > > output figures for ‘normal operating speed of 2000rpm’.  Well even with
> > the
> > > boosted rpm our Campbell prop allows, we still don’t get more than 1500
> > > going flat out… we cruise quietly at 1200.
> > >
> > > I understand our factory supplied alternators are ’30 amp’ but what is
> it
> > > really delivering at real operational rpms?
> > >
> > > I understand that at lower rpm’s the alternator isn’t ‘excited’ so
> > delivers
> > > little amperage…But I don’t know what the critical rpm rate is to
> achieve
> > > excitement
> > >
> > > I don’t understand this whole subject as well as I’d like to.
> > >
> > > Gordon Laco
> > > #426 Surprise

Jonathan M Bresler
S/V Constance Alberg 30 #262