[Public-List] Alternators -- Try a voltmeter!

Michael dickdurk at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 03:11:45 PDT 2018

I was always partial to the ammeter on the original A4. Showing actual
loads and charge rates was reassuring-pegged ammeter, look for a short
etc.
More complicated wiring though, a shunt being needed through which
actual current flowed. Simpler (read cheaper) is why new vehicles have
voltmeters.
My "57 Chevy pickup had an ammeter. Of course, it also had the starter
motor button mounted on the floorboard-no starter solenoid. Technology
marches on...

Michael Grosh