[Public-List] Damn screws

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Fri Jun 1 05:59:38 PDT 2018

Normally I’d suggest heat - but that will destroy the rubber flap valve.   Are you replacing it?  Perhaps you don’t care if the valve that’s in place is destroyed.   I had success heating a cast aluminium windlass body as a step toward removing an oxidized-in stainless screw in the chain stripper.

I recall an article in a yachting magazine about fighting reluctant screws…

#1 - Never let the screw ever think there is any possibility it might win.  It is going to lose and come out and there must never be any doubt about that either in your mind, or on the part of the screw.
#2 - Address the screw.  Cursing is beneficial, the more creativity the better… volume is not required, in fact silent cursing may be the most effective preamble of all.
#3 - Get the screw’s attention.  Place a properly fitting screw driver in its head, and rap sharply with a hammer. (this is actually good advice because the shocks will tend to dislodge the aluminium oxide that is gripping it)
#4 - soak with penetrating oil, and let it sit a bit, then go back to #2 and proceed again until final victory.
#5 - apply gentle but relentless torque with your screw driver, sharply rapping with the hammer…be careful with the torque, you could break the screw.  you may be tempted to put a wrench on your screwdriver for leverage… this is dangerous.  A broken head means the screw won a round.

Gord
#426 Surprise