[Public-List] "The Perfect Storm"

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Thu Jun 7 10:54:09 PDT 2018

Gord,

I don't second-guess what someone else did in extreme conditions. I try
not to second-guess the bad decisions that I've made in a storm, though
I do try to understand the circumstances that lead to the decision I
made. Sometimes little things tip a decision that later turns out to be
foolish, but had things played out differently those little things might
have been the difference between one good outcome and another slightly
less good outcome.

When a friend came home without his boat, having scuttled it when he was
rescued to prevent it from becoming a hazard to navigation, I listened
to his story and thought of a few things he "could have done." Except he
couldn't. He did the best he could given the knowledge he had and the
situation he was in. On another day, he might have been able to do
things differently, but for whatever reason, on that day he couldn't.
I've written about this topic in different circumstances.
(http://blog.gdinwiddie.com/2007/03/03/bearing-in-mind-that-there-are-many-factors-of-which-i-am-unaware/)

It's also easy to be an arm-chair captain. This friend is a much more
experienced and competent sailor than I am. He was in the situation and
I wasn't.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org