[Public-List] Engine woes

Stephen Gwyn stephen.gwyn at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 20:19:58 PDT 2018

After almost two weeks into my once in a lifetime, take a leave of absence
from work, summer off, I've finally got my engine in decent shape.

I have an Atomic 4 with fresh water cooling. It runs perfectly. However
just when I needed it to work for 2 months nonstop, the fresh water pump
belt started squealing. Tighten, tighten: doesn't work. The pump mount is
flexing. It's mounted on the engine mount to starboard, which in case you
were wondering is 1/4 inch fibreglass, but hollow, except for the top inch.
Ok, less put in a 1 inch oak backing plate, and through-bolt it on, instead
of using self tapping screws. I had to cut a hole in the floor beneath the
sink and work blind. With my hand exposed to raw fiberglass. Not fun. And
it didn't help. Stiffer mounting bracket. Didn't help. So I ended up
ordering the Moyer Marine FWC kit. Expensive (especially with the shipping)
but it was easy to install and it fixed the problem Yay!

Check everything else. Oh hey the alternator died. Boo! And I think I
killed it. I had to remove it to install the cooling hose. But like a
knucklehead, I had the power on (to power the engine room light). I knocked
the loose wire on to the engine block, causing a short and frying the
ampmeter. Then when I hooked up the alternator, it was looking at an open
circuit with no load, so it fried itself.

There was a frantic scramble to find a new alternator on Friday at 4PM just
before the long weekend. But it had a different pulley, so I needed a new
belt. Another trip to the auto parts store. But it works!

Now I just have to pack two months worth of food and clothes.

SG