[Public-List] Caution

Amy & David Swanson zira at bellsouth.net
Mon May 21 18:27:27 PDT 2018

We bought a small boat about 4 years ago, and it came with three
inflatable PFD's of indeterminate age.  I brought them home and tried to
inflate them.  One did not inflate, and another one had tiny holes that
let all the air/CO2 out.  I tossed the holey one out and rearmed the
other two.

Last week I brought the remaining two home for their yearly test &
rearming.  Again, one did not inflate, and one (the same one this time)
had tiny holes.  I tossed it and bought a rearm kit for the one
remaining one.

These were name brand PFD's (the remaining one is SOSpenders, don't
remember what the other two were), not cheapies.  Please, if you use
inflatable PFD's, take the time to inspect, test and rearm them per the
recommended schedule, and keep a few non-inflatable vests on board.  I
would hate to think what would have happened if I had tried to use one
of these in a real emergency.