[Public-List] Roller Furler Luff Rope and Dacron Twisting

Zachary Smith zacharysmith.us at gmail.com
Thu May 24 06:25:36 PDT 2018

The original mast design was not tapered and not flexible (like the Triton
28). Production costs would've been lower because fewer headsails required
(only 1).

The A30 was designed to have a small foresail which flies in almost all
conditions, with sail area controlled by reefing the main. The A30 as built
requires constantly adjusting foresail area. Because she's got her ballast
a little higher we ALSO have to adjust mainsail reefing more frequently.

We'd have had a better boat at the same price with the original rig. And a
better boat for marginally more (lead ballast).

I point this out mostly because I see the same decision-making process that
handicapped our boats being used in everything from HOAs to security
trading. Decision by comittee. Decision without any consideration for the
future. Day-to-day the A30 mishap is happening to all of us with all kinds
of stuff.

And also because I like whinging. I'm the best whinger, I spent many years
perfecting it.

Zach

On Thursday, May 24, 2018, Gordon Laco via Public-List <